The septic tank is the primary treatment provider in your septic system (the secondary treatment is the leach field). It is attached at one end to an underground pipe that runs the wastewater, or effluent, from your home or business. The effluent passes through the septic tank, where larger materials sink to the bottom of the tank, and the oils, fats, and grease float to the top. Bacteria present within the septic tank ingest this organic material. The effluent then passes to the leach field, where it is broken down further, eventually seeping into the native soil.
It’s important to select the septic tank that fits your needs, based on septic tank size, usage, and cost.
Septic Tank Options
Since the first septic system was created, septic tanks have been made of concrete. Concrete septic tanks are heavy, difficult to move and place correctly, and over time they can crack and even separate. Steel septic tanks were an option, but they can corrode and rust quickly.
Instead, we offer the IM-Series plastic septic tanks and potable water tanks from Infiltrator Water Technologies. Made from 95% recycled materials, they offer an environmentally friendly option.
Plastic Septic Tanks
Infiltrator’s plastic septic tanks have the following characteristics:
- Two sizes available.
- Lightweight but very strong and durable, as they are made of injection molded polypropylene.
- Integral heavy-duty green lids that interconnect with TW™ risers and pipe riser solutions.
- The two-piece tank body is fastened using high-strength plastic alignment dowels and locking seam clips.
- Tank top is sealed to the bottom by an O ring.
- Easy to deliver and easy to handle compared to concrete septic tanks.
- Used as multiple and serial tank configurations.
- Can be pumped dry during pump-outs (do not require a water refill).
- Available for use as a septic tank, pump tank, or rainwater (non-potable) tank.
- Can be installed with 6” to 48” of cover.
- Quickest installation in the onsite septic tank system industry.
Potable Water Tanks
Infiltrator’s plastic potable water tanks have the following characteristics:
- One size available.
- Lightweight but very strong and watertight, and are offered with potable heavy-duty lids.
- As with septic tanks, inboard lifting lugs make delivery and handling easy.
- Can be pumped dry.
- Available for use as a potable pump tank, water storage tank, or rainwater harvesting tank.